THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Revamping and keeping track

Yesterday, my life changed forever. Yesterday my beautiful boy was diagnosed with full moderate autism. He will be 3 in 2 short months.
I am going to try to keep this up, so I can write down his accomplishments and new things he does every day. So I can see how he progresses. And look back and tell him "see how far you've come!!!" He is a smart and bright boy, happy and always on the go.
He is a global delay. He is behind on everything across the board. He is not a severe case. you could not tell that he has it by spending an hour with him or maybe even a day. Only 3 people in my life noticed it, well 3 that have told me anyway. A parent always wonders, but I didnt think he had it. I thought we were in the clear. I didnt know there were other levels. Its a wide spectrum. No two children have the same autism. I am still trying to get details strait and learn about it. I want to buy at least 2 books, I have a couple picked out. Hopefully I can get them soon.
Anthony is already in ECI, he was referred by the same dr. that picked up on the ASD (autism spectrum disorder) so he is already getting help. They will be happy tomorrow when i tell them they can start the transition process of enrolling him in school. I personally think 3 is too young to go to school. But i dont have a typical child anymore. I have a special needs child, that needs the school. So he will start that when he turns 3 on dec 1st.
Anthony learns new things every day and says new words every day. and always amazes me. He is sooo smart. he just can't talk the way he should be. He doesnt ask me for anything. if he's thirsty he brings me his cup, if he's hungry he brings me any type of food he can reach. but just hands it to me and usually walks off. ECI is really teaching us both good things. 2 months ago when he was thirsty he did just that brought me his cup. Today he will bring me his cup and say "drink" or "water."
Having the diagnosis explains a lot about anthony, we had 2 months to wrap our heads around it. but it was still a blow. Think of that moment you first see your baby. You know your having a baby, its obvious. But you still tear up and just want to bawl with happiness and want to hold your baby. Although getting a diagnosis you dont necessarily want to cry because your happy, but man you do want to cry and hold him.
Anthony is already capable of soo much i couldnt name it all. I just couldnt remember it. But I will start from today and write anything new he does.
I am trying to teach him his name. and the parts of his face. and say his age.
he can say his name but when i ask him "what is your name" he doesnt answer me. he knows his nose and will point to it. but no other feature.
just started the "how old are you" today.
Last week he picked up my sewing basket, which really isnt a typical basket. But he said "it's a basket"
the day before we left to san antonio, he cleaned off the table. taking two plates to the sink.
He will share with his brother. taking a cookie give it to ryan, then take one for himself.
I am going to really try and keep this updated. I really wanna be able to see how far he has come. and my memory is crap now. weeks and months and days run together. its awful!


any and all questions are welcome. I may not have all the answers, but hey a new question is a reason to learn something new!
I am gonna start making those scrabble and domino necklaces and keychains for family for christmas right now. that will say "I love someone with Autism" and have his picture and a puzzle piece on it. Anthony needs all the support he can get right now, he's got a long road ahead of him. I am glad we caught it early and can get his help now!


He will also be getting enrolled in aba therapy (applied behavior analysis) specifically for autistics. Our life is gonna get very very busy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Anthony is picking things up so fast I think He is really going to surprise everyone in the next few months. I know its hard, A year ago I could have only sympathized but not really understood. But after brodie, I know how it really feels to have someone tell you your child has a "disability". It gets harder before it gets easier and frustration and "why" questions will haunt u but at the end of the day they just always make u smile!! im here if you need me, or the kids want to just play!

Lori said...

I am so glad for this site. I know that you keep me updated. I know that you have a head start and have done all the right things so far that Anthony will succeed. Both he and Ryan are very lucking to have the 2 most loving parents. I for one am proud of you both. Keep up the good work and stay strong.

Love you all,
Mom