You know it drives me absolutely nuts. That when I tell an old friend or acquaintance that Anthony has Autism. I usually describe his lack of Language skills and how he's at the level of a 2 yr old for speech. That's the MAIN problem. But not the ONLY problem. It just gets really long to explain about everything going on with him!
But then they turn around and say "oh he's only slow", "oh it's only a speech delay" blah blah blah. The dr.s just wanted to give him something. just to explain whats wrong with him. First and foremost you probably have not even met my child, so how can you say he does not have ASD?? Are you a DR.? Have you examined my son? yeah no didn't think so.
Another, I hear all the time how it's hard for parents to get a diagnosis for the child. The Dr.s (most) just dont want to dole out diagnosis for the fun of it. To label a child for the rest of his life. Only to come along a few years later and say oops he doesn't have it. I just wanted to get you off my back! Yeah no sorry.
Again, do you really think i am no brained enough to believe a dr. when i know there's nothing wrong with my child. I KNOW there is something different about him. I never thought it was ASD. I didn't know anything about it. But it explains soooo much about him. He's learned so much in the care and treatment he has gotten. And its only going to get better!
So really if a parent tells you that a Dr. diagnosed their child with something, don't tell that parent that they are stupid to believe a Dr. When the Dr. is wrong. Especially when YOU don't know anything about it!
Yes there are misdiagnosis all the time. I believe it. But not in our case.
Thanks for letting me rant.
BTW the boys are doing great! No real new things have been learned, just everyday words and such. Anthony starts school on the 1st. Then Ry has his ASD appt in San Antonio on the 7th. Other than that we are just waiting on moving to Germany and many trips in between. Thanksgiving in MN, visits with ant cici in OKC. etc....
Friday, November 20, 2009
Nuts I tell you!
Posted by Patti at 2:53 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment